While flicking the duster around The Kitchenmaid over the weekend I realised I had failed to acknowledge some recent compliments. So it’s with some shame and embarrassment that I very belately thank Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe, Lyndsey of Vanilla Clouds and Lemondrops and Aine of PeasoupEats for passing on a Stylish Blogger award. It’s obvious that none of these lovely bloggers have ever met me, since I mostly blog in my pyjamas (and it would be stretching the Trade Descriptions Act a long way to call them even remotely stylish).
|Just the usual serene breakfast scene at our place
However, I am very pleased to be able to pass this award on to seven other blogs I admire. But first, to prove that I occasionally have a life outside the kitchen here are seven random things you might not know about me…
1. I have never learned to ride a bike. Actually, that’s not entirely true. About five years ago, in the middle of nowhere in the middle of Laos, the BW and I needed to get somewhere and bicycling was the only option. Somehow, with his unfailing optimism and calm demeanour helping me through it, I managed to ride eight kilometres to a World Heritage temple and then ride back again. I still have a dent in my left thigh from one of the most spectacular falls (something to do with a truck, a goat and a large ditch) but our marriage is still intact. Mostly. I really do need to learn, I know…
2. I am the youngest of 10 children. Other people find this incredibly odd and ask all sorts of personal questions when they find this out. To me it’s no weirder than being an only child or the bog-standard three children + dog (but imagine the horrified silence if you said to an only child, “wow, so I guess your parents really hated children” etc).
3. I’ll eat just about anything, except horse. Or spiders. Or rodents. Or McDonalds.
4. I developed a taste for beer, especially high alcohol European beers, when pregnant.
5. I love eavesdropping on strangers’ conversations (and looking in their shopping trollies).
6. In the course of my work I have spent time in a small hotel room with Boris Becker, swum with whales in Tonga and chased the Samoan rugby team across Paris.
7. I am married to an identical twin, whose twin brother is also married to someone called Lucy.
Now, here are seven lovely blogs you should visit when you get a chance…
My Darling Lemon Thyme – Emma, a Kiwi chef-turned-mother in Perth, Australia, who makes allergy-friendly food and takes beautiful photos of it to boot.
As Strong As Soup – Phil, who lives in Surrey, England, and writes the funniest blog comments ever (along with some fine recipes).
Sasasunakku – Sasa, global citizen, soon to be gracing New Zealand with her presence, leading the charge against ‘hangrr’.
Bibberche – Lana, who I found on Twitter, has a blog as big as a bible (and it’s twice as entertaining)
Toast – she doesn’t ‘get’ cheerios, which is just one of the reasons why Mairi, transplanted to Auckland, is so great.
Milliemirepoix – The mysterious M has a vast collection of food and travel experiences and she shares them generously.
Bread and Milk and Blackberries – Ruth’s blog is my newest find. She likes bread and milk and blackberries and all things Scandinavian. What’s not to love about that?